Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Difference Between a Job and a Career

There is always the talk about the difference between having a job and having a career. For a long time I never understood what the difference might be. For me, I would always see both as the very same thing. But as I gain more life experience and work in different places, some things have become clear for me.

A Job:
A job is merely a place you work to gain money. You work there, do your job, are respectful and courteous to those you work with, and that's about it. Maybe you meet a few good people during your time and become friends, but really that's not what you're there for. In any work place you will have drama, you will have people you don't get along with, and you will have arguments with people. That's part of life and part of being human. But at least for me, when drama and fights happen, you are less affected by the outcome of them on a personal level since at a job you tend to not have that personal bonding. HUGE difference for me to see the lines between the two.

A Career:
A career is what you went to school for. You not only learned about it, but gained experience, took tests, made projects, and pretty much sweat blood to be able to be good enough to have that career. I feel that for me when those same fights and drama happen at your career, you will go to much further lengths to ensure the balance and common well being of those around you. . . but why?

It's because you're invested in a career. Maybe not at that exact office that you're at, but as a whole. Because you not only had to prove that you're good enough to have it, but you pour out your money, time, and life into being able to do that trade/career. I am also more likely to invest myself into those I work with due to the fact that our well being directly contributes to my ability to succeed in the field. You want to be at your career, because you chose it, you looked at your options in school and chose to do this one. Yes there is still the same factor that a job has of making money, but that becomes second to the fact that you are there because you LOVE what you're doing.

Alright, now that I've shared that. . .Have a guess at what I'm working at right now.

A Job or a Career?
(Oh yeah, got a fellow co-worker in some trouble today. . and don't give a damn since I felt and saw they we're putting themselves before the well being of the patient)

No comments:

Post a Comment